On-line exam rules
So as to guarantee, both to you and to the schools, the incontestability of results and their comparability to the attendance form, the following rules apply to the exam. The observance of the on-line exam rules is thoroughly checked! If you are to take the exam in the on-line form and you doubt whether you are able to abide by all the rules, please contact us before registration. Participants in on-line National Comparative Exams (NCE) and other on-line exams are obliged to avoid any irregular practices that might be assessed as an attempt to gain an illicit advantage or to obtain correct answers to test questions in an illicit manner. Any violation of these Rules may render the results invalid.
We need to verify your identity – the photo of an identity card proves that it’s you.
- The photo of your face must be clear and identity card data clearly legible.
- Your identity card, driving license, or passport can be used.
- The application enables to hide some parts of the card/passport and to save only the necessary data, which are: photo, name, surname, date of birth, and validity of the document.
Your Desk and Work Area
The environment in which you take on-line NCE must be as similar as possible to that you would have should you sit the attendance exam. For example, your desk and its surroundings must be similar as in a classroom where you would not have a bunch of flowers, a pad or a wallet on the desk, books and excerpts nearby, still less a cell phone or a smart watch. That’s why we need to check, by scanning the room, that there are authorized objects only on your desk, and that you are alone in the room taking the exam without any help.
General Rule for the Desk and Its Immediate Surroundings
Only objects that are explicitly permitted by these Rules or permitted in written by Scio before the exam based on your individual application may be found on the desk and in its immediate surroundings (1.5 m / 5 ft from you).
Apart from these, the desk must be completely empty as well as the whole space within your immediate reach (1.5 m / 5 ft from you) – it means that the shelves beneath the desk or next to it, window sills etc. must be completely cleared out.
General Rule for the Room within Your Field of Vison
None of the following objects are permitted within your field of vision (i.e. 180° from the axis of your head oriented towards the computer you use for the exam):
- Visual display devices, except for the devices used for the exam (i.e. no second monitor, TV, projector, tablet, phone, laptop etc.)
- Objects containing text, mathematical or graphic representation of information, like notice boards, notes, excerpts, pictograms, notepad, book, textbook, map, timetable, periodic system of elements, tables, formulas, or other educational materials.
Objects which are not prohibited above are allowed within your field of vision, under the condition that they do not contain information that might give you an illicit advantage in sitting the exam. Especially you are allowed to have within your field of vision (typically on the wall):
- A picture,
- Poster, or
The scan of your desk and its immediate surroundings must clearly show that authorized objects only are found on the desk and nearby (1.5 m / 5 ft from you), which are:
- Identity card
- The computer you use for the exam
- Mouse pad
- Web camera*
- Laptop stand/pad***
* A keyboard, mouse, webcam and microphone are only permitted if connected to the computer you use for the test provided that they are not inbuilt in the computer. Using more than one keyboard, mouse, webcam, or microphone is forbidden.
** The microphone, if external, must be stand-alone – using microphone connected to headphones, a loudspeaker etc. is not permitted.
*** If you use a laptop stand/pad, the room beneath must be shown.
Other Authorized Objects for the OSP, VŠP, GAP, MAT, and CHE Exams
The following objects are also permitted on the desk for the OSP, VŠP, GAP, MAT, and CHE exams:
- Paper to take notes (all sheets of paper must be shown from both side when scanning the room), and
- A pen.
Other Authorized Objects for Foreign Language Exams
The following objects are also permitted on the desk for foreign language exams (not for GAP test):
- Headphones*, or
* Headphones may only be used when listening to the recording in the audition section.
** Loudspeakers may only be used for listening to the recording as part of the exam, not for reproduction of any other sounds.
Illustrative Examples of Unauthorized Objects
To avoid any doubts, we repeat that only explicitly permitted objects are allowed on the desk and in its immediate surroundings. We present the following illustrative examples of objects which are not allowed on the desk or nearby for better understanding of this rule.
- Cell phone (with the exception below)
- Second monitor
- Smart watch
- Printer and scanner
- Educational materials
- Flower or flowerpot
- Pad (except for mouse pad)
- Map, etc.
Phone to Contact the Customer Support out of Your Reach
A phone in case the contact with the Customer Support is necessary can be prepared in the room throughout the exam. However, both the sound and vibrations must be off and the phone must be placed completely out of reach of the person examined. It can only be used to contact Scio Customer Support.
Scanning the desk and the room
- To prove that you are alone in the room, it is necessary to go round the full circle (360-degree view) with the webcam. The whole room must be scanned; a partial view is not sufficient!
- The scan of the room must be complete and clear, including the whole table, the space beneath and a look behind all possible obstacles. Please scan carefully all entrances to the room as well.
- Make sure that there are only authorized objects on your desk and in its immediate surroundings and no unauthorized objects are found within your field of vision.
- Both the desk and the room should be scanned slowly and clearly – for at least 30 seconds. The maximum length of the room scan is 4 minutes. You can play the scan back to check it, and record it again if necessary.
- After the room scan is complete, please show on camera that you are not wearing headphones (by turning your head to both sides).
- If you cannot move the webcam, please use a mirror. The room scan using a mirror must be careful, clear and without blurs. The minimum size of the mirror is 15x20 cm (6x8 inches, or A5 format). Smaller mirrors are prohibited.
During the Exam
- You must sit at the desk or another worktop during the exam. It is not permitted to take the exam e.g. in bed.
- No other person is permitted in the room. If anyone enters the room by mistake, he/she must be asked to leave, and it must be obvious from the recording that the person has really left the room.
- Any communication with any other person in any way is forbidden.
- No animals are allowed to move freely in the room.
- No electronic sounds that might indicate the presence of another electronic device in use may be heard in the room.
- It is forbidden to open any other browser windows or applications except for those needed for the exam. Their use is detected throughout the exam.
- The use of more active monitors is forbidden, as well as image transmission.
- It is forbidden to leave the field of vision of the webcam or the room after scanning the room (not even between the individual sections of the test). If you have to leave the recording to solve a technical problem, please scan the room and the desk thereafter, in a way similar to the room scan at the beginning of the exam.
- The participant is obliged to be fully visible on the camera, at least from the head to the chest.
- It is forbidden to use text search (e.g. using Ctrl+F function) during the exam.
- The use of a translator in the web browser is forbidden during the exam.
In case another object than authorized (or an unauthorized object within the field of vision) is detected, the participant is expelled from the exam, irrespective whether he/she used the object or not.
- You may leave the room or use a phone only to contact the Customer Support. Such situations will be reviewed.
The NCE results as passed to the faculties and used in the admission procedure must comply with strict criteria of correctness and mutual comparability of knowledge and abilities of all NCE’s participants. Scio guarantees to the faculties and to all the participants that NCE results have these characteristics. In a case where Scio cannot guarantee this, such a result cannot be used in the admission procedure. In this case, Scio will decide about the invalidity of the result.
The result is always invalid when the rules are violated during the exam because in such case Scio cannot guarantee that the participant has not or could not have gained an illicit advantage compared to the other participants. It is mainly the recordings of on-line NCE but also other methods of evaluation of the course of the exam (e.g. analyses of the participant’s answers) that serve to detect any infringements of the rules.
Information on an Invalid Result
If your result is invalid, you will be informed immediately after the evaluation of the course of the exam. At the same time, you will be notified what the infringement of the rules was.
Application for the Review of the Decision of Invalidity
In case you disagree with the decision on the invalidity of your exam result, you can apply for review thereof.
You have to submit the application for review of the decision of invalidity within 2 days after the date of service of the decision. All substantial facts and reasons for the submission of the application must be given therein.
Review of the decision of invalidity is within the scope of authority of the commission.
The form in your personal profile must be used for the submission of the application. By means of it, the application is delivered directly to the commission. This method is necessary so that all applications might be assessed by the commission duly and in time.
Applications for review submitted late or in an incorrect manner will not be taken into account.
Review of the Decision of Invalidity
Based on the application for review, the commission will re-evaluate the recording of the exam considering all circumstances and reasons stated in the application, and decide once again about the fairness or irregularity of the exam. The decision of the review commission is final and no remedial measure against it can be sought.
Consequences of Invalidity
In case your exam is assessed as irregular, the certificate of participation in the exam and of the result thereof will be issued to you together with the justification why the exam has been assessed as irregular and why it has been decided that the result is invalid. The certificate will be made available to you via your personal profile.
An invalid result will not be passed to the faculty.